Thursday, October 8, 2009

Broken Hearts

I received a phone call yesterday from my cousin. I could tell she was crying and she kept saying that Kurt's wife, Lana, was dead. At first, I couldn't understand why she was saying that nor why she was crying. THEN, the meaning sunk in. (In an effort to give the family some anonymity I am changing names).Lana had died. She was at home, complained of a horrible headache, wasn't responding to questions, Kurt called 911, while he was on the phone she slumped to the floor. The ambulance arrived and she died enroute to hospital. It is suspected that she had a cerebral aneurysm.

I had had a very close relationship with Kurt (as a young child) and his family over the years. There has been some difficulty in the relationship between this cousin and I. He was unable to accept Sarah so our relationship has been strained and we have not seen each other for several years. This is just background information and not the point of this post.

The point is this is family who I love and enjoyed a close relationship with at one time. I have called and left a message on his phone and later talked with his sister.

Lana was 33 years old. She was a vibrant young woman who married Kurt with a little girl that I adored. She had a daughter from previous marriage who was, also, adorable. She was so good to Kurt's daughter and she showed no partiality in the two girls. I will always be grateful for the love and nurturance that she showed to Kurt's daughter.

Please pray for them as they go through this difficult time My heart is broken for them.

The point is that I love them and my heart is broken for them.


O God of grace and glory, we remember before you this day
our sister, Lana. We thank you for giving her to us, her
family and friends, to know and to love as a companion on
our earthly pilgrimage. In your boundless compassion,
console us who mourn. Give us faith to see in death the gate
of eternal life, so that in quiet confidence we may continue
our course on earth, until, by your call, we are reunited with
those who have gone before; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: