Wednesday, February 20, 2008

To Laugh Again

A friend called me last night to tell me a nurse I formerly worked with was having health problems and had been put on bed rest. The sick friend is a person that I worked with for more than 20 years. We worked together, traveled together and played together. She was the first person at work that I told about my partner being transgender. She was truly a friend. She told me that the main thing she was concerned about was that I was happy. Her actions toward me never changed.

My sick friend is someone that I have had so many good times and laughs with that I can’t count. We have laughed together until we truly would lose our breath. When I called her today, I could tell from her voice that she was not feeling well. She has a severe form of arthritis and is possibly having side effects from some of the treatments. She says that the fatigue she has is overwhelming. We are both avid readers and she says that turning the pages of a book is painful for her. This coming from a vibrant, funny, “go till you drop” kinda woman breaks my heart for her.

Please join me in saying prayers for the recovery of my friend that she may have energy again, that she is active again and, yes, oh, yes that she laughs again.

No comments: