Friday, April 13, 2012

Mother's Passing

To all those who have been reading this journal; I must report that my Mother passed away Thursday evening at 11:45 pm April 12. She went quietly without pain or complications. My son, daughter and ex wife were at her bedside along with my sister and Kay until 10:30 that evening when we went home to get into more comfortable clothes and take care of our animals. Kay and I returned to mom's home about 11:15 and were prepared to stay the night if necessary, as we realized that she might not last through until morning; we just didn't know when her last breaths could be.

She might have had a seizure on Monday and she had been showing signs of declining, less drinking, speech was mumbling, breathing difficult and fast. It was very difficult for her to take sips of any liquid.

It was just my sister, Kay and I with my mother when she started showing signs of her impending death as her breathing was very shallow and had slowed to less than 20 per minute. Kay called us both back into the room and we held her hand and stroked her forehead telling her that we both loved her as we heard her final breaths leave her body; and then she was gone. Her passing happened the way we should all go, surrounded by family who have loved and cared for her, sedated from pain and no tubes to keep her alive any longer than nature and life intended for her.

Almighty God, we remember this day before thee thy faithful servant Catherine.; and we pray that, having opened to her the gates of larger life, thou wilt receive her more and more into thy joyful service, that, with all who have faithfully served thee in the past, she may share in the eternal victory of Jesus Christ our Lord; who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

There are never words enough to comfort those left behind when nature takes its course. I watched my mother slowly decline and was happy to see her suffering cease, I hope you are able to feel the same.

It is always a shock to loose parents and find yourself stepping forward into the front line...

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. As Caroline said, it's difficult to find the right words to comfort someone when they lose someone they love. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.