Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Mother's Gift

These past few week have been very hard, for me at lease, to carry on with our lives.  Even though we took a few day off to attend a wedding of 2 very good friends and then invited ourselves to visit with some other good friends in Summerville; we came back and I was bombarded with all kinds of TV commercials on how to celebrate "Mother's Day".   It has not been a month since we buried our mother and am inundated with TV ads about how to Celebrate her day.

I have yet to have a good bawling, grieving for the loss of a strong, fighter; my mother who kept a lot of my secrets and doted on me more than I realized.  I learned a lot about my mother that most of my sisters had known and told her stories to everyone.  How my mother was such a fighter for her children; for me when the nuns tried to force me to use my right have to write with; I am left-handed.  For my sister who was cheated out on being named Valedictorian for her class.  She confronted those who treated her children wrong and managed to some change school policies in the process.  That was my mother; a fighter.

As my male self, I was reluctant to stand up for myself on occasions.  But as Sarah, I have no problem fighting injustice and peoples attitudes that are just plain wrong.  I am still fight 2 battles with organizations that treat people wrong.  And that's just not right.  This is the gift that she left for me, the permission to stand up for myself and for others.  Thank you Mom!!

No comments: