Monday, November 2, 2009

Atlanta Pride

Kay and I attended Atlanta Pride festivities, with an afternoon at the park on Saturday and on Sunday we watched the parade. We were invited to march with a group from All Saints Episcopal Church after services. I am glad that we took to opportunity to watch the parade, even though we did miss the first few groups march by. Everyone was clapping and cheering, people throwing beads and such. It was very interesting to see all of the very different groups. WOW!! Two newbies from south GA. But what a morning.

The Saturday before, we got to the park around noon in enough time to find out where the First Transgender Parade would begin, there was a small group because it was added, it seemed, at the last minute; there was about 25 people to march around the park with people cheering us. It turned out that to keep the trans march in the park was the best option for the day. I met some new friends and someone who I was friends with on Pink Essence. While we were chatting we noticed a band playing under a small pavilion and a smaller crowd listening. Janine recognized the song and the band, it was Gracie and Lady GaGa. I introduced myself and told her how much I appreciated she had done for the cause. A real nice lady, with a great voice.

It was awesome to walk through the park and visit each booth and watch the people and how they interact with each other. I love people watching; just seeing the strong display of affection was heartwarming.

1 comment:

Lori D said...

This is just awesome! I'm so glad you did this!