Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another woman who sings tenor

I attended the Episcopal Church Women's convention at the Church Center at Honey Creek this past weekend with Kay. All-in-all, it was a very good meeting, with the Children's writer Marc Harshman reading and telling stories. The best story is that we made friends with two first timers from Augusta, Ga., some strange connections with friends from Valdosta and Kay home town. But that for another story for another time.

At the closing service our new Bishop gave a wonderful sermon and shared his views and some thoughts. As always with a church service there was hymn singing at the appropriate places, and I could tell the piano player was a little nervous, but she did a great job. I'm not sure why, but for the communion hymn she started playing something while everyone went to communion, and as I said she seemed a little nervous, so I shimmied over to the piano and sang with her to boost her confidence. Well we sang all verses and she added harmony once in a while, turned out quite nice. After the service several women thanked me for the spontaneous and beautiful music; not quite a solo but as always, I sing with a strong voice. As we were leaving, one woman grabbed my arm and told me that she loved my singing and she sang the tenor parts in her choir. After hearing how I sounded, she knew how she must sound. Well I thanked her and told her to keep singing. So all you who sing lower parts, just so you know---there are plenty of women who sing just like you do; so don't quit singing because you can't sing like the sopranos. Who cares, well many we care more than we should because we are too critical of our singing voice. Go find a recording by "Sweet Honey of the Rocks" an all womens group who sing 4 part, gospel. Sweet music to one's ear.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

:-)

Melissa XX

Caroline said...

Some of us have voice problems which have meant a life without any ability to sing, you have no idea how envious I am that you have use of that means of expression and the confidence to use it.

Caroline xxx