Saturday, April 10, 2010

Trans Vagina Warriors

Tonight was the last performance of this years Vagina Monologues, and what a show it had been. This has been my third year of being allowed to perform a monologue with the women, and I think it has been the best year ever for myself as well as for the confidence of the performers. I was a little anxious opening night simple because we had never performed the show with everyone reading their parts, opening show was actually out first performance with everyone. It was a little shaky at first but we took it slow and let everyone get comfortable as we went through each monologue.

Being able to be a part of the cast for the monologues has given me a chance to get to know so many young women. Watching them blossom in their confidence as they perform their parts of the monologues is empowering for them. Having a stage full of hot happy vagina's behind you, encouraging you, is not something one can ignore. This is their moment to face their history of abuse by others and to deal with the fear and anger.

My expectations of being a part of the cast as a trans women is to provide an opportunity to get to know me and other lgb persons. Let them become comfortable being around me so that they can tell others that they know someone who is trans and is boringly normal. Being around these talented young women who are the same ate as my daughter is empowering for all of us. Getting to know each of these women's special talents and gifts is special, and I feel like the 'Old Mother Hen' when I am around them. I want to protect and encourage each of them to stand up for themselves and take charge of their lives. I will miss being around them more than I can say.

Thank you, Vagina Warriors for letting me become your friend.
Sarah

2 comments:

Melissa said...

How sweet of them to include you as one of them Sarah, and how wonderful for you to be able commune with them on such an intimate level! I'm sure you will never forget this very special experience! I would love to be included in something like that, with a group of natal women.

Melissa XX

Kay & Sarah said...

Melissa,
This is my third year doing the Monologues, and I am always overwhelmed by the connections that are made among the cast members. This year we had several women who shared with us personal stories of abuse and rape they endured growing up. Watching these women take back their power and self worth is inspiring to me, and it is by the community of other women supporting and encouraging each other in the group. That what I get out of doing these shows.
Sarah