Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Affirmations

Yesterday was my normal appointment with my primary doctor. Kay and I had gone to have her eye checked earlier that morning after her second eye surgery and everything is doing great.

Dr Smith has been my primary doctor for almost three years and we have been through a lot together, especially all that I have had done after my breast cancer and mastectomy. Yesterday was my 3 month checkup and when he came into the room he was going to talk about my having to lose some weight; when he saw that I had indeed lost 15 lbs since my last visit he was quite pleased and happy. Then he wished me a belated birthday and asked if I had gotten a fathers day card. When I told him that we had gotten mothers day cards he was very happy and surprised. I believe that he was truly concerned how my family was adjusting to my transition and was pleased. Then he said that he very happy to see my transformation over these last few years and the success of the changes in my appearance that he has noticed. I think I have finally convinced him that people who deal with gender dysphoria have great needs from the medical community.

My problem, now that I lost an average of 5 lbs a month, he is expecting me to continue that kind of weight loss. I told him what I was doing and would keep trying to lose more weight.

We shall see, we shall see; especially with my back problems, and knee problems. Ah, the joys of growing old gracefully. I am trying to party hard and hope I can slide into my end, bruised, tired, happy and exhausted.

2 comments:

VĂ©ro B said...

It's wonderful that you have a doctor who works with you so well -- and as a whole person, not just a medical patient. Congratulations on weight loss! That's a lot, and I know it's not easy.

Laura Bennett said...

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is such an accomplishment :)

I am happy to hear things are going well. I enjoy following your story!

That is awesome your doctor is so involved and concerned about your family. I am going to eventually have to find a family doctor. I just don't go hardly at all, but it would be good to find someone who I can begin that relationship with and be out to.